Friday 6 June 2014


This Project involves conversion of waste heat released by the processor of the computer to Electrical energy using the peltier Effect. The electricity is generated by the peltier tiles which are placed across temperature difference between the bottom of the laptop, which is hot and the ambient air which has a moderate temperature.








I chose to do a research on the peltier effect as I had earlier hard from people that a lot of heat is wasted which is generated by the processor. Today we are mostly using non-renewable sources of energy to generate electricity which will be depleted in the next 50 years. So I decided to recycle heat generated by the computer processor as I had studied “Law of conservation of energy” which says that energy can neither be created nor destroyed but can be converted from one form to another. In the peltier module, when one side is heated and other is cooled, through the temperature difference it generates electricity. I had calculated the area of bottom of the laptop and calculated the area needed to recycle energy. My project has generated about 1.2V en the first build. This voltage was enough to run a USB computer fan. I have took 12 peltier tiles and placed them on a top of a Gel pack. On above the peltier tiles There was the bottom of laptop. Here is a video about my project.


If this technology is further developed, we can save over 30%-40% of the battery life and thus save electricity.

Question / Proposal- Hypothesis: If I can capture enough heat from the processor of computer and convert it efficiently to electricity, then I can save the battery lifetime. 

Objective: To make a processor heat recycler that generates electricity using the heat generated by the processor.


I have also uploaded this project to instructables and Google Science Fair. My project has been featured by the authors of instructables. You can see it here-

http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycling-CPUs-Processor-Heat/

I was also invited from the devlopers of makeystreet.com to share my project

http://www.makeystreet.com/makey/2958/


Please don't forget to comment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!